Discover Hertford Online | History | Timeline


Discover Hertford Online | History | Timeline.

Timeline

673 Meeting of the first Synod of the English Church.
896 Defeat of the Danes by Alfred The Great.
912 A burgh (fortified places) was founded by Edward The Elder to the north of the River Lea crossing at “Heorutforda” (Ford of the Harts) to defend aganst Danish advances. The site is thought to be in the area of Old Cross.
913 A second burgh is established by Edward to the south of the river, making Hertford a double fort. The site later became Hertford Castle.
1066 The Norman Conquest.
1087 The Domesday Book records 146 burgesses (head of family), two churches, two markets and three mills at Hertford.
Hertford Priory established by William The Conquerer’s nephew, Ralph de Limesi
1170-74 Hertford Castle reconstructed by Henry II.
1216 Siege and capture of Hertford Castle by the French Dauphin.
1223 The Sheriff of Hertfordshire is ordered to construct a gaol in the borough.
1249 William De Valance becomes govenor of Hertford Castle.
1296 Hertford Castle reverts to The Crown (Edward I) after the death of William De Valances.
1298 The Freemen of Hertford elect the town’s first MPs – John De Westreete and Simon De Balle.
1299 Hertford Castle entrusted to Margaret of France, wife of Edward I.
1304 Hertford Castle becomes a Royal Palace.
1332 Castle and Borough surveyed by Edward III.
1358 Queen Isabella, wife of Edward II, dies at Hertford Castle.
1360 Hertford Castle granted to John of Gaunt, third son of Edward III.
1402 Joan of Navarre, wife of Henry IV, becomes governor of Hertford Castle.
1418 Princess Catherine of France, wife of Henry V, becomes governor of Hertford Castle.
1450 Around this time The Verger’s House was built in St.Andrew Street. It is now better known as St.Nicholas Hall.
1514 The church of St.Mary The Less in Old Cross is pulled down.
1536 Dissolution of Hertford Priory.
1563 Parliament moves to Hertford Castle to escape The Plague.
1602 Samuel Stone, founder of Hartford, Connecticut, born in Fore Street.
1610 Speed’s Map
1617 Richard Hale School founded in All Saints churchyard.
1621 Detailed survey of the town by John Norden for King James 1st.
1625 Outbreak of Plague in the town.
1628 William Cecil, second Earl of Salisbury, is granted freehold of Hertford Castle by The Crown.
1629 St.John’s Church bulit on the ruins of St.Mary’s in the old Priory grounds.
1637 The Priory Manor is sold to Sir John Harrison of Ball’s Park.
1653 Mayor of Hertford, Andrew Palmer, imprisoned by Roundheads for reading royal proclamation.
1666 Christ’s Hospital School moves to Hertford after the Great Fire of London.
1669 Quaker Meeting House built in Back Street (now Railway Street).
1670 Friends Meeting House built in Railway Street.
1675 The church of St.Nicholas is demolished.
1708 Water first pumped into town.
1721 Ware Park Mill built.
1754 Young’s Brewery opens close to the corner of South Street and Fore Street.
1767 The River Lee Navigation reaches Hertford, providing an important transport connection to London.
1769 The Old Sessions Hall is demolished to make way for Shire Hall.
1771 Shire Hall completed
1772 The Hertfordshire Mercury first published.
1793 The School of Industry for Girls opens.
1824 Clock designed by John Briant installed at Shire Hall.
1825 The first gas works is constructed in Gas House Lane (now Marshgate Drive) by the International Gas Co.
1826 Thomas Duncombe becomes MP for Hertford.
1830 McMullens second brewery opens on what is now the site of The Woolpack P.H.
1833 Completion of Hertford County Hospital (formerly The Infirmary).
1835 The Reform Act of 1832 and the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 lead to the reformation of Hertford Corporation.
1841 The Cowper Testimonial School opens in London Road.
1843 First railway station opens in Hertford, opposite what is now the Great Eastern Tavern in Railway Street.
1845 All Saints Infants School built.
1849 Outbreak of Cholera in the town kills 48.
1851 New livestock market opened behind the Ram Inn in Fore Street.
1854 The Hertford Sewerage Diversion Act leads to the establishment of a sewerage purification works on the Kings Meads.
1855 Holy Trinity Church built in Bengeo.
1858 Opening of Cowbridge Railway Station on the new branch line from Hertford to Welwyn.
Horns Mill rebuilt and re-equipped
1859 New Corn Exchange opened.
The Ragged School in Butcherley Green opens.
1861 Church of the Immaculate Conception and St.Joseph built in St.John’s Street.
Water reservoir established in Port Vale.
1862 Construction of the United Reform church on Cowbridge.
1863 Housebuilding starts on Folly Island.
Catholic Church built in St.John’s Street.
1868 Christ Church built on corner of Port Vale and Balfour Street.
1870 St.Andrews church in St.Andrews Street rebuilt.
1877 The Ragged School in Butcherly Green closes.
Work completed on Goldings, a tudor style house eventually to become a Dr.Bernardo’s home.
1884 Shire Hall altered.
1888 Work starts on new Public Library in Old Cross.
Hertford East railway station constructed.
1889 Covered Market built.
1890 Main Post Office built by H.Norris.
Fire destroys Sele Mill – burns for three days.
Market Street constructed.
1891 All Saints Church gutted by fire on 21st December.
McMullens build a new brewery in Hartham Lane.
1893 Major restoration of St.Nicholas Hall in St.Andrews Street.
Mill Bridge freed of toll.
1895 A new church at All Saints is dedicated by the Bishop of St.Albans.
1897 Young’s Brewery close to the corner of South Street and Fore Street closes.
1898 Evelyn Cecil elected M.P.
1900 The first electric works are built by the North Metropolitan Electric Power and Distribution Co.Ltd.
1902 Shire Hall altered.
Boys from Christ’s Hospital School move to Horsham.
1903 The Green Dragon hotel is built on the site of a 16th Century Inn on the corner of Maidenhead Street and The Wash.
1904 Christ’s Hospital redeveloped for girls. Eight large red brick dormitories and a new chapel built. These were opened on July 23 1906 by The Prince of Wales.
1905 Completion of The Victoria Tower at All Saints Church.
1906 The Prince and Princess of Wales, later King George V and Queen Mary, open new girls accomodation at Christ’s Hospital.
Baptist Church built on the corner of Cowbridge and Port Hill.
1910 Opening of Hertford’s first cinema, the People’s Electric Theatre, on the corner of Maidenhead Street and Bull Plain. The site is now occupied by Hinds the jewellers.
Hertford’s second cinema – The Premier, opens on Christmas Eve in Market Street.
1911 Hertford Castle leased to Hertford Borough Council.
1912 The Castle Gates are presented to the town by the Marquis of Salisbury.
1914 The Castle Cinema opens in The Wash.
1915 Zeppelin Raid on town on 13th October. Buildings damaged include those at the west end of Bull Plain and North Road.
1917 Fire destroys important part of Maidenhead Street on 6th May.
Bombs dropped on Queen’s Hill from German Zeppelin.
1919 Addis takes over the buildings of the Hertford Steam Laundry in Ware Road for the manufacture of toothbrushes.
1921 First council houses constructed.
War Memorial built in Parliament Square.
1922 Goldings became the William Baker Technical School, a Dr. Barnardo’s Home
1923 Hertford County Hospital extended and rebuilt.
1924 Cowbridge railway station closes.
Hertford North railway station opens.
1927 Extensive demolision work takes place on Millbridge so that road can be widened and new bridge constructed.
1928 Record factory opened in Mead Lane.
1929 The Premier Cinema in Market Street becomes a theatre of varieties.
1930 Richard Hale School rebuilt on a new site in Peg’s Lane.
1932 The treatre of varieties in Market Street becomes The Regent Cinema.
1933 Opening of the County Cinema.
The Maidenhead Inn, which gave its’ name to Maidenhead Street, closes. The premises are now occupied by Woolworth’s.
1935 New toothbrush factory in Ware Road constructed.
1938 Record Factory in Mead Lane closes.
1939 County Hall opens.
1940 German Land Mine damages houses in Ware Road and Tamworth Road.
1943 The Regent Cinema closes.
1944 Extensive damage after a V2 flying bomb lands at Mill Bridge on 2nd July.
1946 Balls Park becomes a teacher training college.
Modernised Castle Cinema reopens.
1955 Major expansion at Addis’s toothbrush factory.
1957 The Cowper School in London Road closes.
1959 The Castle Cinema closes.
1964 Releif Road constructed.
1967 William Baker Technical School at The Goldings Closes.
1973 Horns Mill, home of Webb & Co in the 1950s, is demolished to make way for homes.
1979 The Castle Hall opens.
The Covered Market closes.
1980 Road viaduct carrying the A10 across the Meads is opened.
1982 The County Cinema closes.
1985 After 300 years in the town, Christ’s Hospital Girls School leaves Hertford to join the boys school in Horsham, Surrey.
1987 Christ’s Hospital chapel demolished to make way for Tesco supermarket.
1993 Addis’s toothbrush factory closes.
1994 Fountain built in Salisbury Square.
1996 Major part of Hertford Castle grounds transfered to East Herts District Council as a gift from the owner, Lord Salisbury.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s